Thursday, January 12, 2017

Syria's civil war in art

Illinois art teacher Marc Nelson has put pen to paper and enhanced the way we look at the war in Syria. Even though many, in fact most of them have some graphic scenes, there is something that changes the way you see the war when it's not on a screen, but on paper. He said that, "I started seeing these images from Syria that seared their way into my mind, I couldn't stop drawing them."And I hope he doesn't.

His eighth grade art class he teaches has been drastically changed by their teacher. They did a project to draw "Heroes under the radar" and many drew some of the White Helmets who died helping locals, or the reporter Khaled al-Issa who was killed in an airstrike on his way home.

"I don't see a lot of artwork coming out of this conflict," Nelson said. "We really wanted to let people know -- someone out there is thinking about you."

 http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/middleeast/illinois-art-teacher-syria/index.html

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I'm sure those students have gained more interest in aiding Syrians themselves after that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! It kind of reminds me of a thing I saw on FB about George W. Bush painting portraits of soldiers who were injured in Iraq and how it helps him feel like he really knows them. I think it's impossible to do something like this without creating a connection.

    ReplyDelete