I know this sounds like old news, but this time it wasn't Trump who told NATO countries off. "No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of
the defense of Western values," Mattis told the alliance's 27 other
defense ministers, according to a text of his remarks. "Americans cannot
care more for your children's future security than you do."
That's more like it! I fully agree that America shouldn't be carrying most of the weight, but I didn't really like the extremes Trump went to when he said something similar to NATO. NATO says they need time to make plans but some have already made commitments. Hopefully this time they fulfill them.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=235&sid=43191904&title=pentagon-boss-to-nato-nations-increase-military-spending
I do think other countries could help foot the bill a bit more, but I'm wary about causing any instability with our European allies when we haven't defined our current relations with Russia. I don't like Putin, and I don't want him to think we're his buddies!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm not planning on raising the Hammer and Scythe anytime soon!
ReplyDelete