Monday, February 13, 2017
German nationalists seek to oust member for Nazi past speech
A member of the German Nationalist party, Bjoern Hoecke, basically said that Germany needs to stop feeling guilty about their Nazi past. This is a bad mark on the German Nationalist party, and it is not making them any more popular. This is worrisome for them, because their is an election coming up concerning seats in the German Parliament, and as you can imagine the Nationalists want some of them. The Nationalist party has begun the process of kicking Bjoern Hoecke out of their political circle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's a question: At what point should Germany stop feeling guilty? Does recognizing a past problem have to equate to feeling guilty? Most Germans alive today were not alive during the Nazi era, so should they feel guilty for what their ancestors did? This is actually very applicable to us because we have similar issues over slavery and the treatment of Native American Indians. Should I feel guilty that my ancestors took land from a native tribe? Or is there a way to recognize that what they did was wrong without taking personal responsibility for something I had nothing to do with? We have to remember the past and recognize its wrongs because we don't want to repeat them, but at the same time, there's perhaps a limit to the guilt for things that were done in the past.
ReplyDeleteFull confession, I just read your summary of the article. I didn't read the actual article. Now you know. So, I didn't know how extreme he really was.
DeleteIt's alright, XD.
Delete