Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Cows In Distress After Earthquake In New Zealand

After a 7.8 magnitude earthquake occurred on Monday, the "Quake Islands" on New Zealand are dealing with more than stranded people—many farmers' cattle were scattered and stranded all over the islands. They are called "safe, for now." It is, of course, their priority to find all humans first, but they are working hard to ensure the safety of all cows as well. In the article there is a video of three cows stranded on a small grass island that was risen from the rest of the land. They had to rescue them by digging them a path. Their owner said, "We dug a track with a number of people. The soil was quite soft because it has all been tipped over and bumbled around. They desperately needed water. Cows don't like living without water, so that was the first requirement. And I think one or two had lost calves in the earthquake, so they were a bit distressed."


Sorry for posting so much, this article just kinda cracked me up (especially the video!)

http://www.livescience.com/56891-new-zealand-earthquake-strands-cows.html

3 comments:

  1. HA! I loved the video. I wonder how the cows felt about the island. I would have thought "Thank goodness!" the cows were probably asking for more grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It blows my mind that this was the result of an earthquake! Crazy to think of the land changed so much like that. I'm glad to see the cows are safe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Thank heavens most of the New Zealand-ers made it out ok. These cows are kind of funny. Did you notice on their island there's only grass on the edges? As if the cows already ate all the grass in the center or something? Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete