Over the weekend thousands of Russians took to the street in protests against the government. Several hundred of these protestors were detained and arrested, some of which claim not to even be participating in the rallies. 22 year old Malysh was charged with resisting the police and given ten days in jail, but he claims that he was just meeting with a friend at a café when he went outside to film the protest, then he was immediately pushed to the ground. "I didn't resist but they still beat me up," he says. "They told me to
relax my body. I did it and got hit on the head, dragged into the bus."
A picture of the arrest of Olga Lozina went viral. She said that she was just coming out of a local McDonald's when her mother protested the arrest of a young man. She and Olga's older sister were immediately detained. When Olga intervened she too was arrested.
There are plenty of other stories on this link. (This is the main link by the way, not just a link to the stories.)
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/30/europe/russia-youth-protests-corruption/index.html
The protests were lead by a man of the name Alexey Navalny. Olga says, "...Alexey Navalny just showed the schemes, the process, made it public, opened it to the public eye." Navalny has been campaigning against government corruption for a while now, but going against the government can be risky. When he was campaigning in Siberia he was sprayed a with a green stain liquid in an attempt to stop him from making more anti government films, but having a green face didn't stop him.
I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this. The protestors say that it is obvious that Russia is corrupt (which it is) and they don't like it, so they protested. I guess in short I'm very happy that the youth recognize this. I realize there is a line that these protestors could be crossing, but I'm not sure if they have. What do you think?
That fact that these protests are happening at all underlines what one protestor said: This is not the Soviet Union. If there wasn't a sense that they could change things, these students wouldn't be protesting. However, seeing this provides a great example of why our first amenment rights need to stay strong. The right to assemble and peacefully protest is essential to keeping the government responsive to the people rather than making the people servants of the government.
ReplyDelete