The House of Representatives is to vote on a bill this week that would legalize gun silencers without a special license. It's called the "Hearing Protection Act". One side argues that it would be better for hunters, making it easier for them to hear their surroundings and protecting their ears, while the other side says it would make it harder for the government to catch criminal shooters, such as the one in Las Vegas last night.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-10-02/house-poised-to-pass-law-easing-sale-of-gun-silencers-after-las-vegas-shooting
My first thought on this is that the vote should be rescheduled as this is such an emotional issue right now. I don't have a strong opinion about whether or not silencers should need licensing. It doesn't seem like a really big deal since guns require a license anyway. I would definitely get rid of the tax though, partly so that hunters who want to have silencers for hearing reasons can afford them, but also just because I'm generally in favor of getting rid of any tax possible. ;)
ReplyDelete