Friday, April 7, 2017

The U.S. launched a total of 59 Tomahawk missiles on Syria, a statement against chemical warfare

Just yesterday evening Trump ordered for 59 Tomahawk missiles to be fired on a Syrian/Russian airport located in Syria. This was a message to Syria that chemical weapons and warfare will not be tolerated. Trump was moved to launch this attack because of the suffering of the chemical attack that took the lives of 87 Syrian civilians, including 31 children. However, this isn't just a statement to Syria and Russia, this is a statement of Trumps active readiness to use force, a statement to places like China, North Korea, Mexico and Germany, and anyone else who is nursing a potential beef with Trump's America.

Personally I think that America should have as little connection as possible with Europe and the middle east. These guys have been fighting each other for centuries and they aren't very likely to stop. Besides, most of these countries are just egging us on to attack them.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=235&sid=43785420&title=us-missile-strike-could-resonate-beyond-syria

2 comments:

  1. So, Caden, what's your take on this? Did Trump do the right thing? Do we know yet whether it was the right thing? What do you think the potential consequences are? We'll discuss this in class on Wednesday, of course, but share here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we are involved in this war I would say that we have some responsibility to react. Whether reacting with 59 missiles was the right reaction or not could be debated. I acknowledge that the chemical weapons did kill innocent men, women, and children, and that certainly is not okay, but I am not exactly sure if what we did was justified by that attack. It's a bit of a fine line Trump was walking and I can see why he ordered the launches, but whether he did the right thing will take a bit of brainstorming.

      I know there will be consequences, Trump blew up an airport that both Syria and Russia uses! But I think that most likely they will respond with more vigorous attacks against us. War is a game of sacrifices, a game of wits, a game of chances, and this is a big fat risky chance we've got going on here.

      Delete