Monday, January 8, 2018

Thoughts?

Sooo it's a long story, but basically I was on change.org and they kept suggesting petitions for me to sign. 4 of the ones that popped up were petitions to ban religious face covering in Canada, the EU, the UK, and the USA. Do you guys think we should ban them? Here's the statement for the one for the EU (I think they all said basically the same thing.)


"We, the undersigned petitioners, hereby demand to immediately ban the wearing of the Islamic headdresses (Niqab and Burka) in all European Union countries.
These forms of headdress are both confrontational and intimidating to many people in the European Union. By wearing the above headdresses persons demonstrate their belief of not integrating with the societies of EU countries, not accepting local culture and lifestyle. It's also a disruptive element within the normal administration of the above countries, in particular in regards to national security.
We live in the part of the world where demonstrating your face to everyone is a part of culture. We believe that newcomers have to adapt to our culture, not vice versa."

7 comments:

  1. This got me thinking. Basically I came to the conclusion that Governments shouldn't have the right to ban religious apparel. anyone come to a different conclusion? I'd love to hear what's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a little more trickier than that. I think the reason they want them banned is not good enough. It's not wise for a government to try and control culture, and that is why I think that they should not ban hijabs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, sort of... the way you got there was different from me but I still agree with you.

      Delete
  3. I don't think the government should be the one to do it either way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care to expand on that? I'm a little confused.

      Delete
    2. I can't tell if Emma agrees or disagrees. Sorry, my head hurts right now and my reading is slowly degrading. XD

      Delete